Real Talk: Insecurities About Blogging
Last week I went to write my first post for this and I’m not going to lie, it was hard. I had a really hard time focusing on one topic. I had a lot of ideas in mind and was struggling with several different things. I wanted to be open and honest with you all. In the midst of trying to write these posts, the enemy used my insecurities and started to overwhelm me. Here are some of the lies that I believed in that moment and then the TRUTHS that were spoken back into my life.
Insecurities that I struggle with when it comes to blogging (AKA: The Lies)
- I feel insecure in my writing abilities. Sometimes I wonder why anyone would even care to read what I have to say. What do I have to offer that people would even care about? I don’t craft (very often). I am not an overly organized person (I’m organized in a way that works for us but not that I would necessarily share with others).
- I feel insecure in myself. I will hit the slightest road bump and struggle to write something and so I’ll immediately think that I can’t do this and that I will fail.
- I feel insecure when I compare myself to other people and their blogs. I read their stuff and am amazed. I love their writing styles, their content and the way they connect with me and I don’t even know all of them personally! I have a close friend who blogs and does an AMAZING job. Consequently, when my insecurities rise-I compare myself to her and think I have no business trying to start my own blog. I should just leave it to people like her-those with talent. They are good at this and I’m just mediocre. I should just leave it to them and not waste anyone’s time.
- I feel insecure in my creative abilities. This blog isn’t going to be a place where you can find how to do weekly crafts. I’m not super creative. Sometimes I feel like I just barely scrape by when it comes to making things or even turning my house into a beautiful place full of things that I love.
- I feel insecure about what I do have to say. There are things that I want to read out there. I want to know that I’m not the only one that lost her temper with her 11 month old child. I want to know that I’m not the only one who was selfish. I want to share these things with you but at the same time, that makes me insecure in myself. What will you think of me? Will you judge me? Will you say mean things?
Reminders God Gave Me (AKA: The Truth)
I am His child. He chose me. He gave me this desire and passion for a reason. I am far from worthless. I am his masterpiece!
God will reach me and tell me the truth in any way he chooses. In struggling to get my mind off of these horrible thoughts I first cried out to God to help and then I called my husband. He immediately left work to come home (yes I know, he is pretty awesome!) Once he was on the road he called me and spoke truth into my life. He spoke God’s truth. I fully believe that God gave him all of the words to say because they were EXACTLY what I needed to hear in that moment.
God also used Facebook to reach me. Instead of going to my bible when I had stopped crying enough to see again (yes, it was that bad), I turned to Facebook to get my mind off things. The very first thing that was on my news feed was by Lysa TerKeurst. If you have never heard of her, you should definitely go check her out!
“Instead of walling in our weak places today, let’s allow the Spirit to reveal
the one positive step we can take right now. Let’s wash away our thoughts of
condemnation with the warmth of His grace. Receive His power. And
rename our weaknesses, our strong places.”
Then she quoted scripture. God’s word and His abounding truth.
“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV)
You guys this is EXACTLY what we all need to remember no matter what kind of day we are having. When you are feeling broken, unworthy, worthless, hopeless, shut down or anything else-remember this verse and this TRUTH.
When we are broken and weak-God is STRONG! Therefore, when we are weak we are strong. God takes charge when we break down those barriers that tell him we can do things ourselves. He will always take over for us and help us through those hard times. Thank goodness for a gracious God who loves me and wants to remind me of these truths at all times!
So with that being said, I will continue to blog. I will continue to be me. I will choose to believe the truths and choose to take delight when the enemy attacks and tries to bring me down because God will be my strength! I will not back down. You shouldn’t either! Take delight in the fact that the Lord is your strength!